Nutrition and Diabetes: Pathophysiology and Management, 2nd Edition
Diabetes occurs at such an alarming rate that it can be described as a global epidemic. Following its predecessor, Nutrition and Diabetes: Pathophysiology and Management, Second Edition, is a comprehensive resource that describes various factors that drive the accumulation of excess body weight and fat resulting in obesity. The book discusses the metabolic aberrations found in obesity and how they lead to the association of obesity with diabetes. This new edition highlights the role played by diet and the interrelationships in the metabolism of key nutrients in the pathogenesis of obesity and diabetes which provides the scientific basis for treatment and management approaches.
- Highlights the role of nutrition in the pathogenesis of obesity and diabetes
- Organized logically into two easy-to-use sections – Pathophysiology and Management of Obesity and Pathophysiology and Treatment of Diabetes
- Features emerging therapeutic approaches for management of obesity and diabetes
- Discusses experience in the management of obesity and diabetes in developing countries
- Presents challenges in insulin therapy and provides guidelines to overcome them
The first section of the book retains key topics from the previous edition and contains new chapters including genetic determinants of nutrient processing, fat distribution and diabetes mellitus, combined effect of diet and physical activity in the management of obesity, pharmacologic treatment of obesity and the role of gut microbiota in the pathogenesis and treatment of obesity. The second section features updated versions of most of the other chapters in the first edition comprising a modified chapter on oxidative stress and the effects of dietary supplements on glycemic control in Type 2 diabetes. In addition, new chapters are added in this section and include the contribution of iron and transition metal micronutrients to diabetes, role of microbiota in the pathogenesis and treatment of diabetes, primary prevention of Type 2 diabetes and the pathophysiology and management of Type 1 diabetes.
Δείτε τα Περιεχόμενα & Απόσπασμα του Βιβλίου
Διαθέσιμο κατόπιν παραγγελίας